Friday, February 25, 2011

MOGWAI: HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL



Sub Pop

You really have to stop what you're doing and listen for this one to make sense. The album title (I assume) is a tongue-in-cheek dig at fist-pumping hardcore loyalists. But on a deeper level, it's something I've thought about a lot. As in, "that bridge will be here in a hundred years, I won't." Mogwai's version is much funnier.

Like I said, the album's hard work to get into. It's attention seeking. A whirling daze of post-punk, atmospheric pressures and mostly-instrumental annunciations. Fuzzy distortion and feedback-infected, gentle dreaminess. Who else would write a (surprisingly) uplifting instrumental track with euphoric, orbital melodies and call it "White Noise"? Anything but.

It's a musical landscape, no... skyscape (spacescape?). And I'm sitting on the Board of Shaman's magic carpet with travel sickness, arguing with Tony Harrison...

No comments:

Post a Comment